In 1950, The Most. Rev. Russell J. McVinney, Bishop of Providence, instructed Rev. John C. Ells to form a new Roman Catholic parish; a new parish in the Cranston area was formed with a total of 325 families. The new parish boundaries included Howard Avenue, New London Avenue, Oaklawn Avenue, Nowell Avenue, Pontiac Avenue, and the Pawtuxet River.
The St. Mark Church and Rectory were dedicated in January of 1952. By 1957, the parish was growing quickly and plans were approved for a Parish School and Convent; both buildings were dedicated in 1961. The Religious Sisters of Mercy moved into the Convent and staffed the St. Mark Parish School.
In 1971 the Parish School regionalized and became the Cranston Johnston Catholic Regional School, operating separately from the parish while the parish maintained ownership of the building.
In 1990, Rev. Joseph P. Heaney and the parishioners of St. Mark Church embarked on a major renovation of the church. The center ceiling and roof were removed and a pitched roof with skylights as well as stained glass windows were added. A brick courtyard was also added, increasing the dignity and beauty of the church exterior.
In 1995, the Religious Sisters of Mercy moved out of the Convent, which was then turned into a Parish Center.
In 2000, under the pastorate of Rev. Richard A. Donnelly, a new granite floor was installed in the nave of the church.
Rev. Anthony W. Verdelotti was appointed pastor in July of 2005. Since 2005, improvements have been made to the Rectory, Mother Cabrini Parish Center, and the Church.